Importing a CSV (comma delimited) file is an efficient and time-saving option when creating Customers and Suppliers. The import tool simplifies the exercise of moving your customers and suppliers across from your previous accounting system. To assist with this process, you should download the template file provided. The template contains field headings which correspond to the fields maintained when manually creating contacts.
Navigate to the Contacts tab and click on the Import button.
Step 1: Download the template file
Click on the link to download the template file. It is advisable to open the file using a spreadsheet program like Excel. This will automatically recognise the commas in the CSV file and split the fields into columns. Enter or copy and paste your input data into the relevant fields.
The following rules and tips should be considered:
- Save the file as CSV (comma delimited) with a .csv file extension as only CSV files are permitted for upload.
- Field names and field order cannot be changed or deleted.
- Name is the only required field.
- Maximimum lines per upload file is 100.
- Duplicates and existing customers/suppliers will not be imported (based on name field).
- Commas within a field require the contents of the field to be Text delimited with quotation marks eg "xxx, xxx".
- Multiple address lines can be entered in the cell as per above (Ctrl+Enter or Alt+Enter inside the cell depending on spreadsheet program).
- EU VAT Country field is only needed if you are registered for VAT in the United Kingdom and sell to Customers in the EU. The entry here is needed when running the EC Sales List report. Use the appropriate 2 character Code from the table below:
The above file viewed in a text editor such as Notepad would appear as follows:
Step 2: Import the file
Click on the Browse button and select the saved CSV file. Click the Import button. You will be notified if there are any errors, which you will have to rectify before proceeding. The import has not yet taken place and can be cancelled in order to amend the file.
Step 3: Complete the import
Click the Complete import button to import the Customers and/or Suppliers. A message will be displayed if the process has successfully completed.