This help document refers to entering customer refunds against existing Sales Credit Notes. If you are entering a refund for which you did not issue a credit note, you should consider using the General Payment option.
Enter the refund directly in the credit note
Refunds can be entered directly against Sales Credit Notes. Display the credit note on the screen. Go to the bottom of the transaction and fill in the appropriate payment details before clicking the Add Payment button. A bank transaction is created and can be viewed via the link in the body of the credit note.
Enter the refund in the Banking area
The refund should be entered as a Spend Money transaction. Navigate to the Banking tab and initiate the transaction from one of the following areas:
- Overview - click the Spend button for the appropriate bank account.
- Transactions - select the appropriate bank account and then click on the Spend Money button.
- Bank Imports - import a bank statement or process an outgoing amount from an existing bank statement.
Proceed to complete the transaction as follows:
- Type: Select Refund to Customer.
- Date: The date that the refund took place. This defaults to the current date or the date provided by the bank if you are processing a bank statement.
- Contact: Use the drop down list to select the appropriate customer.
- Reference: Enter any relevant information you may require e.g. cheque number.
- Notes: This is a memo field and can be freely used.
A list of the customer's outstanding credit notes (i.e. where the outstanding amount is greater than zero) will be displayed for selection. Tick the checkbox to select a transaction. The amount in the This Payment column can be changed if needed. Note that all other columns in this section are read-only and you will not be able to edit the information here.
- Transaction ID: The transaction ID of a credit note available for refund.
- Credit Note Date: The date as specified on the credit note.
- Credit Note Amount: The total value of the original credit note.
- Other Payments: The total of any refunds or allocations against invoices previously made for this credit note.
- This Payment: The amount of the refund being entered against the selected credit note.
- Outstanding: Calculated as [Credit Note Amount - Other Payments].
Click the Save button to complete the customer refund.
Each credit note selected for refund results in one line posted to the Accounts Receivable account for this transaction i.e. if five credit notes are selected for refund, this transaction will result in five separate lines posted against the Accounts Receivable account. This is to allow you to subsequently report which credit notes were refunded by a particular bank transaction.